Saturday, February 23, 2013

Vintage Sign project continues....

There's a possibility of some gallery shows for my old-time GR sign project so I'm trying to get re-motivated. Here's the latest...

My first try at using "electroluminescent wire" for neon. Not as bright as I was hoping but still learning.

Back-lit version.

The City Centre was a bustling mall in Monroe Center in the 80s. It didn't last very long though. Closed in the early 90s. It is currently the Police Station/Secretary of State. Part of GR's try at revitalizing downtown and it didn't quite work out, neither did "Mackie's World" rebranding they tried years later. Some older than me may remember it as Herpolsheimer's.  I lived downtown in the late 80s so it was a hangout for me and I remember it in its prime. There is literally no visual reference to be found anywhere for City Center. I had to rely on video I shot down there for stills in making the sign.  In my memory, the City Center was the most 80s mall of the 80s. I think the designers took more than a few cues from Miami Vice. Everything was pink and teal, including the little train that ran around the food court!

Me hangin out in the City Centre food court, 1987. Pink and teal 4 eva!




5 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Ha thanks. Bought it at "Purple East Plus" on Fulton street.

      Delete
  2. I remember going to the City Center because they had a great bookstore, every magazine you could imagine. I don't remember the name of it though. Other than that, was nothing too exciting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember riding that train that went around the ceiling! But that's about it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Jeff- I just got a photo of this Herposheimer train someone posted -- wanted to share it with you for the blog (if you want) but not sure how. Email if you want it: mattwojciakowski@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete